Winter Squash & Mozzarella Cheese Sandwich
For this recipe you will need the following ingredients:
1½lb Winter Squash (Waltham Butternut, Acorn, Delicata, or a small pumpkin)
Thyme, a fresh sprig if available
11oz. Thinly sliced Mozzarella Cheese or Apple Cider
½ C Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Grease a pyrex or other ovenproof dish with butter.
- Peel and cut the squash into ⅔ slices. Do your best to make them sandwich size.
- Lay the slices on a large piece of foil. Sprinkle the sliced squash with salt and thyme.
- Fold the foil over the squash slices and seal. Place on a cookie sheet and put in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the squash from the oven. Leave the oven on.
- Remove the squash slices from the foil, moving them to the baking dish.
- Put a layer of the sliced mozzarella on each piece of squash, then cover with another slice of squash, making a sandwich.
- Sprinkle the top of each sandwich with the parmesan cheese and a dab of butter.
- Bake for 10 minutes.