This timeless recipe is sophisticated enough for an elegant dinner, easy enough for a casual meal.
3 lbsRusset Potatoes (about one per person)
Butter or 1 Cup Clarified Butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Peel and cut potatoes into coin-like slices 1/8" thick.
- Melt butter in a 10" cast iron or ovenproof pan.
- Arrange the first layer of potatoes in the pan, working in a circular pattern from the outside in. Overlap the potatoes slightly as you arrange them in the pan. Place nice looking sections on the bottom; they will be on top and visible when you have finished
- Brush the first layer with butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Repeat this process for two more layers.
- Cover with foil or a tightly fitting lid and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake another 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Loosen potatoes around edge of pan. Place a plate over the pan; invert the pan to turn the potatoes onto the plate, or server directly from the cast iron pan.
Serve with chopped parsley or parmesan cheese if you wish. Cut into wedges and