Tuscan Bean Soup Northern California Style
Assemble the following:
1-1/2 cups Petaluma Gold Rush beans.
1 cup Cannellini beans.
2 quarts cold water.
1 spring rosemary
2 sage leaves.
1 Tbsp. olive oil.
1 yellow onion, chopped, yielding about 1-1/2 cups.
1/2 tsp. dried basil.
Salt and pepper.
6 cloves garlic.
1/4 cup dry white wine.
1/2 lb. tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped, or 1 eight oz. can.
1. Soak the seeds overnight or at least eight hours.
2. Drain the beans and put in a large pot. Cover with water and add
the rosemary, sage and bay leaves.
3. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Leave uncovered and cook until the beans begin to soften, about 30-45 minutes.
4. Remove the herbs and reserve 1 cup of the beans.
5. Pass the remaining beans through a food mill and return them to
their pot with the cooking water.
6. While the beans are cooking, saute the onion, basil, salt and pepper in the olive oil over medium heat. When the onion becomes tender, add the finely chopped garlic and saute two minutes.
7. Add the wine and saute until the pan begins to dry, one or two minutes.
8. Add the tomatoes and simmer ten minutes.
9. Add the cup of reserved beans, salt and pepper, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Add a little water if needed. The broth will be moderately thick and beany.
10. Serve with the grated Parmesan cheese and hearty bread.
Recipe makes up to 10 cups.