Crispy Fried Shallots
Assemble the following:
2 cups vegetable oil.
2 cups thinly sliced shallots.
1. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, heat oil to 275 degrees using a deep fry thermometer to check for accuracy.
2. Add thinly sliced shallots and cook for approximately eight minutes, until
they become a light golden brown. Stir periodically.
3. When finished, transfer to a paper towel using a slotted spoon.
4. Elevate the heat under your saucepan, bringing the oil temperature to 350 degrees. Nearby, place a sieve over a heat-resistant bowl.
5. Return the shallots to the hot oil, paying close attention so they do not burn.
They will cook quickly on this second round.
6. When the shallots are golden brown, pour the contents of the saucepan through the sieve to separate the oil from the shallots. Transfer the shallots to a paper towel.
7. Serve while still hot.
8. Reserve the oil for a second use.